Voting is now underway for the ratification of the brand new DGA movie and TV contract. Members had been despatched ballots tonight together with the memorandum of settlement, in addition to an govt abstract of the brand new cope with the Alliance of Movement Image and Tv Producers. The tentative settlement was authorised final evening by the DGA nationwide board, which unanimously advisable that members ratify it. Voting should be accomplished by June 23.
“In this new agreement,” DGA President Lesli Linka Glatter advised members, “we were able to win many significant advancements, including a number of important industry ‘firsts’ including: essential protections regarding AI, terms and conditions in non-dramatic SVOD programs as well as high-budget AVOD programs, Feature Director compensation for ‘soft prep,’ expanded paid post-production for Episodic Directors, a new foreign streaming residuals structure based on subscribers, and banning live ammunition on sets. We also obtained critical improvements in wages, streaming residuals, safety, diversity, and additional creative rights gains. What is particularly striking about the agreement is the breadth and depth of the achievements made, providing significant new benefits for members in every category.”
Key highlights of the settlement, she wrote, embrace:
- Wages and Advantages: Received the best normal wage beneficial properties in additional than 35 years together with a 5% improve within the first yr of the contract, 4% within the second yr and three.5% within the third yr. In yr two of the settlement, a further 0.5% wage improve will fund a first-time new parental go away profit for DGA members.
- World Streaming Residuals: Achieved important will increase within the residuals for dramatic applications made for SVOD by securing a brand new residual construction to pay international residuals based mostly on variety of international subscribers. The result’s a 76% improve in international residuals for the biggest platforms in order that residuals for a one-hour episode will now be roughly $90,000 for the primary three exhibition years.
- Generative Synthetic Intelligence: Secured settlement that the customary and contractual duties assigned to DGA-represented workers should proceed to be assigned to DGA-represented workers coated by the settlement, and that GAI doesn’t represent an individual.
- Non-Dramatic Applications: For the primary time, we established phrases and situations for administrators and their groups on non-dramatic (e.g., Selection and Actuality) applications made for SVOD. We have now improved residuals for Administrators, which can now be shared with Affiliate Administrators and Stage Managers.
- Excessive Finances Dramatic AVOD Phrases and Situations: We achieved new phrases, inventive rights protections, working situations and improved residuals – which embrace UPMs and Assistant Administrators, for our members working in scripted dramatic tasks made without cost to the buyer streaming providers corresponding to Freevee, Tubi, and Roku.
- Characteristic Administrators: For the primary time, we gained compensation for the months of “soft prep” Characteristic Administrators at present carry out without cost previous to the beginning of the Director’s official prep interval.
- Episodic Administrators: For Pay TV and SVOD, Episodic Administrators received expanded paid post-production inventive rights, and gained a further assured shoot day for one-hour applications. Collectively, these enhancements will lead to a 28% improve within the assured minimal compensation for many Administrators engaged on one-hour sequence made for Pay TV or Excessive Finances SVOD from $50,764 to $64,960 over the time period of the Settlement.
- Discount in Hours: We achieved a critically necessary discount within the size of the Assistant Director’s day by one hour.
- Security: We obtained concrete security developments together with a pilot program to require the employment of devoted security supervisors and danger evaluation; expanded security coaching applications for each administrators and their groups, and the ban of stay ammunition on set.
Right here’s a chart and an govt abstract despatched to members that comprises all the important thing deal factors.
“In addition to these breakthroughs,” she wrote, “we have increased Studio transparency in residuals reporting that will result in greater enforcement and larger residual payments, made improvements in diversity and inclusion, added Juneteenth as a paid holiday and many additional gains for members in all categories.
“These accomplishments are thanks to a year and a half of research and preparation, and weeks of incredibly complex negotiations by an extraordinary team: Negotiations Chair Jon Avnet and Co-chairs Karen Gaviola and Todd Holland, our National Executive Director Russell Hollander, and our Negotiations Committee, made up of more than 80 members representing all categories. In addition, I want to recognize the heroic efforts of Creative Rights Chairs Thomas Schlamme and Nicole Kassell for their work in furthering the creative rights for our television directors. I am so proud of all of the phenomenal efforts of our members who participated in negotiations, alongside our excellent professional DGA staff, and I thank everyone involved for their dedication to achieving an excellent new contract for all DGA members.
“I am proud to present this agreement to you for your approval. In addition, we are scheduling a series of meetings for members to find out more about the new agreement and ask questions and will be sending that information shortly.
“This ballot represents your highest responsibility as a Guild member and the core of why the Guild has existed and remained strong for almost 90 years – to protect your economic and creative rights and freedoms. The Negotiations Committee and the Guild’s National Board unanimously – and enthusiastically – recommend that you vote YES for ratification of the Agreements.”